Taken from a discussion on: Where have all the young pagans and witches gone
Another thing may be that there has been a definite shift in practice in the last (less than) 10 years. You can see it quite clearly on the tunblr blog fuckyeahalatars, where people (mostly us under 35s) post pics of their altars. Sure velvet and crystals and goddess statues still exist, but more and more you see skulls and roadkill. There is less and less Wiccan influence and more from Voodoo and Hoodoo and Appalachian Granny Magic.
Pretty robes and lighting the correct coloured candles and reciting three pages of poetry just isn’t as popular anymore. Now it’s spirit houses, necromancy, flying ointments and ecstatic rites.
Standing around in a circle with other people watching someone else draws down the goddess isn’t what calls to them/us. A solitary with sweat pouring down her body as she dances with the spirits of the dead is.
We don’t harm none, we write about how to throw curses on our blogs and discuss better ways to make hot foot powder.
You refused to teach us the Mysteries without having to play by your rules and allow ourselves to be brow beaten. So we went and found them for ourselves, with blood and sweat and piss. Literally blood and sweat and piss.
A High Priestess once said to me that people don’t actually do that sort of stuff, spit into a cloth, or piss into jars or cut themselves and pour it into their offering dish. I laughed bitterly. Because that is exactly what we do.
58 Notes/ Hide
- mugwortvespers reblogged this from walkingthehedge
- mypaeganlovesong reblogged this from walkingthehedge
- druid-glade likes this
- sirenovhenbane likes this
- pixiesnakes likes this
- hornedhaegtessa likes this
- serpent-moon likes this
- sororitywitch reblogged this from cousinnick
- dreamingviolet likes this
- damondailly likes this
- nodeer likes this
- goddess29 reblogged this from blackwithstarlight
- homesteadilee likes this
- anarchohedonism likes this
- suncross reblogged this from duskenpath
- suncross likes this
- ethanmansfield likes this
- frozendarkember reblogged this from cousinnick
- littletinybit reblogged this from walkingthehedge
- spiritscraft reblogged this from cousinnick
- cousinnick likes this
- cthulhucallsyou likes this
- blackwithstarlight reblogged this from walkingthehedge
- versifrau reblogged this from achangingaltar
- abwatt likes this
- lilkittay likes this
- tzeltzan reblogged this from satsekhem
- duskenpath reblogged this from satsekhem
- hellboundwitch likes this
- tzeltzan likes this
- duskenpath likes this
- favoritewhale likes this
- satsekhem reblogged this from walkingthehedge
- navelgazed likes this
- waxing-moon likes this
- walkinginthemoonlightpath likes this
- csokachild likes this
- jadepichette said: Blood and bones is where it is at.
- csokachild reblogged this from achangingaltar
- kuroitakai likes this
- achangingaltar reblogged this from walkingthehedge
- jadepichette likes this
- four-sided-triangle likes this
- walkingthehedge posted this